Tuesday 21 November 2006

Phone Scam in the UK - 0871 208 9407 - Recording of scam message below

I know this isn't strictly computer related but I've just had a message left on my home answer phone from 0871 240 9000 asking me to call a national rate number to pick up a message and I thought I'd share some details here so other people can avoid the scam. 0871 isn't premium rate but it is charged at around 8-10p a minute and the company behind it will be taking a cut of that amount, probably around 2p a minute.

What happens is that you call the number and then get put on hold indefinitely, no one will ever pick up the phone as there's no-one there, they just want you to stay on for as long as possible so they can make as much money as possible, and at 2p a minute that will need to be for a long time!

I called Ofcom on 0845 456 3000 and they knew about this one already, took my details and said they would get the line shutdown. Unfortunately it seems the people/companies behind this use plenty of PO boxes and fake front companies to avoid the authorities catching up with them, although apparently "they are" catching up with them.

Here is the full transcript from the call and remember they keep changing numbers but if it starts 0871 it's almost definitely a scam.

"Hi this is James from the information team, err, this is our second attempt to contact you, you have a message awaiting your collection. To collect your message simple, just call us on 0871 208 9407, thanks" 

They even have fake background office noise to make it sound legitimate! Reading other forums it seems that "James from DPS" and "Paul at the Information team" are also popular ones. If you fancy a listen to what this all sounds like I made a recording that you are free to download (right click and 'save as') and pass on to whoever you want, and if you recognise this person's voice please let me or Ofcom ( 0845 456 3000) know their identity.

MP3 of phone message 

Other links:-

Scroll down to the bottom of this link for user comments

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:39 pm

    Yep - just had the same message on my own answering machine... being suspicious, I Googled for the exact phone number, and it found your blog posting...

    Thanks for reporting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:01 pm

    Yes thanks for reporting this, just had same messages and googled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 pm

    me too! Thought it didn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:38 am

    Yep ... likewise.

    11am, 24/11/2006

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:33 pm

    thank you so much i got this message wen i got back from uni and i didnt have any credit to call back so i googled it too thanks agaun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:43 pm

    Well done for reporting this. Like the other commenters, I've also had this message but being the suspicious sort I tried to look up what company held this NGN as I knew I hadn't been 'attempted to be' contacted before.

    Scammers are some of the worst sort of scum. It isn't enterprising, it isn't clever and the harshest punishments should be visited upon them.

    ReplyDelete