Saturday 22 November 2008

Yongnuo wireless remote camera release


I recently purchased a Yongnuo wireless remote control for my Canon 20D off ebay for £20 not expecting an awful lot it has to be said but I've been very pleasantly surprised. Here's a brief rundown of it's features:-

 - 1x Red LED on receiver for Power.

 - 1x Green/Red LED on receiver, Green for half press & Red for full press (visual confirmation).

 - Power switch on receiver.

 - Focus and fire button (half and full press) on receiver that can be used without a battery so no need for both wired and wireless remotes!

 - Single shot, 2 second timer, bulb and continuous shot mode. For bulb and continuous you press and hold the button for 3 seconds and it locks, then just do a half press (focus only) to stop it. The 2 second timer mode is enabled by flicking a switch on the transmitter.

 - Both batteries included.

The remote can be purchased from UK Highland Photography on ebay which is where I got mine.

I also tested the range of the remote using the included batteries (Great Power CR2 Lithium in receiver with a healthy 3.24v) by walking away from it and pressing the shutter button every 5m or so. I got about 55m away before it stopped taking photos which is somewhat short of the 100m range quoted; it's possible a new battery in the transmitter may have helped as I never tested that but it's absolutely fine for what I will be using it for so I'm not that bothered. The only problem was that while walking back towards the camera I was pressing the remote button but it didn't take any photos so there may be a problem with it going out of range and then coming back into range, stay within 50m and you should be fine though.


Overall for £20 I can't recommend this highly enough if you need a wireless remote release!


Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with either Yongnuo or UK Highland Photography and I paid for this out of my own pocket. I'm sharing this info as I couldn't find a review anywhere online.
UPDATE: I've been informed of another review at the DPreview forums here, so much for my Google skills!


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a Yongnuo corded remote and timer from ebay which was shipping out of HK. I really had no idea how reliable it would be or if it would even start to work on my sony alpha a300.
    I needn't have worried though. The timer works perfectly and there have been no problems so far.

    ReplyDelete