Tuesday 6 December 2005

Sony's lost sales.....

I was just about to order the new Leftfield compilation "A Final Hit" but I thought I better check who publishes it first, and low and behold it's Sony/BMG. I'd love to buy the album but there's buckley's chance of Sony getting my money so I'm left in a bit of a quandry as I really wanted the CD. Some people who are boycotting Sony have talked about downloading an artists music and then giving their money directly to the artist/band, I've no idea how you could do this in practice apart from writing a cheque (are millionaires really likely to go down the bank to cash a £10 cheque?) and in Leftfields case that may be slightly difficult as they've split up. Another option is to donate the money to charity?

Interestingly this is a quote from the leftfield forum:-
"What's the point in reactivating this forum when Leftfield don't even exist anymore? Well apart from this money-grabbing "greatest hits" CD Sony have got out to milk their fans."

I don't have a problem with an artist or label producing a greatest hits CD but the thought of Sony fleecing Leftfield fans makes my skin crawl, as such I think the only option is for me to buy a few of the old albums containing the tracks I want from eBay. Hopefully I won't get screwed with a DRM'ed disc but we'll see!

As a side note I've seen various posts from people who were just about to buy a Sony item but then due to the whole rootkit snafu and Sony's general attitude towards it's customers have changed their minds and several of these were about to spend thousands of pounds/dollars. Now I know it's only techies and people that care about this stuff that are going to boycott Sony but if we add up the general level of hate towards Sony at the moment I'd say they'll have lost a few million quid this Christmas. While probably only a few percent of their total sale's around this time it does give me a nice warm feeling knowing they missed out on millions and that I was there and did my bit :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment